August 17, 2008

The seven habits of successful trader by Mark Crisp

Recently I read on a trader-girl's blog (www.olesiafx.com) something about this author (Mark Crisp). The title was very intriguing so I decided to have a look. So, according to Mark Crisp the 7 habits of successful trader are:

  1. Take complete responsability, that is , don't try to blame anybody else for the mistakes you do.

  2. Have a system that fits you.  In order to define a system that fits your personality ask yourself the following questions: 

    • What annual rate of return do I want ?

    • do I want to trade full time, part time ?

    • Can I handle the stress of day trading and short term selling ?

    • Do I have the patience for long term trading ?

    • What king of personality am I ? Do I need lots of action, Do I need to make decisions all the time ?

    • What kind of books have I read and which top traders do I most admire and why ?



  3. Plan a trade and trade a plan.  Here are some helpfull questions that you should ask: 

    • Where will I place my initial stop ?

    • How will I take my profits ? ( Will I trail stop ? If yes then By how much will I trail my stop ?)

    • Will I add more shares as the trade goes my way ? 

    • If the share does not show any profit after x periods will I get out ? And how ?

    • If stopped out of this trade will I be willing to get back in ?



  4. Work hard at learning how to trade properly.  Would you expect to become a brain surgeon after attending a weekend seminar ?

  5. Positive Self-Belief: You'll never be able to follow a system if you have a doubt in your mind. But how can one gain the confidence in the system ? Well, the answer is : only by doing the groundwork described in the previous step ( Work hard !)

  6. View trading as a source in points not in money. Stop counting dollars every time the market makes a move and focus on following your time tested rules. 

  7. Keep trading as part of a balanced life. Work hard, play hard.  Successful trading is : 

    • boring

    • effortless

    • easy

    • stress free